Monday, April 11, 2016

Week One

OK, so after the first week of my life experiment I'm thinking that this vegan thing is totally doable as a college student.  I had a few worries about finding vegan options at the dining centers.  However, there are some ways in which having all of my food provided for me makes this whole experiment a lot easier.  The dining center provides options for students with special diets.  All I have to do is go online and check off what I want for my meal (there's a long list of options available) and give an estimated time for when I'm going to eat.  

I definitely haven't gone hungry.  For my first day I decided to brave the dining center alone and ended up with a very full, very colorful plate.  The picture on the left is my first vegan meal.   

 I had a lot of fruits and veggies...and continue to have a lot of fruits and veggies on my plate.  My go-to snack, or plate filler, has become carrots and peanut butter.  That way I get some protein in.  For the next day I decided to try ordering my meal.  For lunch I got a hummus wrap and baked potato, which definitely isn't as colorful, but considering it was for my Wednesday lunch (the day I only have about 15 minutes to eat)the wrap and potato was just enough.  For dinner one night I ordered vegan ice cream with my meal, which is called "So Delicious Ice Cream".  I don't think I'd say vegan ice cream is "so delicious", it's more like frozen, sweetened almond milk.  And Finally I've come to a go-to meal, at least for lunch, which is my spinach sandwich.  I know it sounds kind of gross or at least weird, but I think it's pretty 
good.  My sandwich is a a whole grain bun with tomato, cucumber, red bell pepper (because it's the best kind of pepper), a whole ton of spinach, and mustard because every sandwich needs a condiment.

So I've made it through a week, and I'm feeling surprisingly good.  Because I eat so many foods that have animal products, it would only be natural to think that I'd feel lethargic, or at least hungry after cutting such a large part of my typical diet out.  However, I haven't noticed any decrease in energy and I've certainly had plenty to eat.  I think I can keep this up and be vegan for an entire month. 











No comments:

Post a Comment